Friday, February 1, 2013

How to make: Creamy Cauliflower Soup



Over the holidays I picked up an exciting new cookbook that was just MADE for winter.  It's called "100 Best Fresh Soups".  Considering it was only about $6, I think I got my money's worth.  I attempted this soup in early January, and I was pleasantly surprised on how good it was!  I just happened to have some cauliflower to use, and this was the perfect way to use it up.  Also, Andy really liked it too, even though his initial reaction was something like this:

Andy:  "Ohh, you made soup?  Smells good, what kind?"
Laurie:  "Cauliflower"
Andy:  "ewww"
Laurie: "Just try it first!"

Gather your ingredients:

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

1 tbsp Olive Oil
2 tbsp Butter
1/2 cup diced onions
1 cup diced leeks
1 large head of cauliflower
4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
salt & pepper
Parmesean cheese and olive oil, for garnish

Start by dicing up all your veggies:

Cut the cauliflower into florets and cut the stalk into small pieces.

Chopped leeks and onion

Heat the olive oil and butter in a pan

Cook the leeks and onion for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Here they are 10 minutes later!


Add the cauliflower.  Hmm... my pan's a little small.  Time to switch to the wok.

Saute the cauliflower with the other veggies for 2-3 minutes.

Add the stock and bring to a boil, cover, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.


Here's the cooked veggies after 20 minutes!

Transfer to a food processor or blender, process until smooth, and return to rinsed-out saucepan.  If you have the smallest food processor ever, like me, just blend in batches.

Heat the soup through, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
 Feel free to add more stock to the consistency you want.

Finished!  Top with Parmesan cheese and drizzled olive oil.



If you liked this, let me know in the comments!  And don't forget to follow me on Facebook and Twitter!

3 comments: