Tuesday, November 13, 2012

How to make: Festive Thanksgiving Pumpkin Muffins

So I've had this gigantic can of pumpkin in my pantry for a while now...  I guess I thought I'd make pumpkin pies at some point, but since I usually travel to Michigan for holiday family functions, I haven't been able to make any!  I mean, I GUESS I could make a couple pies for just me and the husband, but then I'd have to eat the whole thing.  WAIT WHAT'S WRONG WITH THAT?!

Regardless, I haven't used it, so I decided to whip up some festive pumpkin muffins instead so I could eat ALL of those!!


Now gather your ingredients:
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 egg
1/4 cup oil
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup milk
1/4 tsp vanilla


Mix dry ingredients together, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, & pumpkin pie spice:








In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients together, egg, oil, pumpkin, milk:









Make a well in the dry ingredients and then pour the wet mixture in:




Mix until just combined:



 Spoon batter into greased muffin cups (makes 12):




Bake at 375° for ~15-17 minutes, or until an inserted knife comes away clean:





Now, here's the big dilemma:  EAT NOW or make frosting?!  Your choice!  If you feel up to the task, here's how to make cream cheese frosting which will make these muffins taste out of this world.

Gather your ingredients:

Cream Cheese Frosting (adapted from Simply Recipes)
1/4 cup butter (1/2 stick unsalted) at room temperature
4 oz cream cheese 
1 to 1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


  • With an electric mixer, mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes on medium speed until very smooth. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure even mixing.
  • Add the vanilla extract and mix. Slowly add the powdered sugar. Keep adding until you get to desired sweetness and thickness.
  • Either spread on with a blunt knife or spatula, or spoon into a piping bag to decorate your cake or cupcake.
LET'S DO THIS:




Ohhh yes!  So delicious!  Try this out yourself!

Don't forget to follow me on twitter!


1 comment: