Sunday, February 3, 2013

How to make: Avocado Corn Cakes


Last night I went to a "pot luck" with my classmates, and we were supposed to bring a dish to share.  I had NO idea what I was going to bring about 2 hours before, but luckily I was able to come up with this appetizer on the fly and it was a hit!  I know that I liked it, because it combined many of my favorite flavors.  (Plus I got to use some of my cumin) I also couldn't come up with a fancy name for these, so I settled on "Avocado Corn Cakes".  Any suggestions are welcome!


Avocado Corn Cakes
Yield: 14  Time: 30-45 minutes

For the corn cakes:
1 cup masa corn flour
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup water
1-1 1/2 cups corn oil


For the avocado filling:
1 avocado, diced and mashed with a fork
1 tomato, diced
1 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt


1 can refried black beans (or pinto beans)
cilantro for garnish

Begin by assembling the corn cake mixture.  Mix the masa, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and salt in a bowl.


Add the water and begin to bring together with a fork.


When combined, start by making small balls of the masa mixture


Have some extra masa on a plate so the dough won't stick to the plate or your hands.


Flatten the masa down into a cake or patty with your hands.


In the meantime, heat the corn oil in a pan to 350-375 degrees F.


I used a thermometer to help me with this, because it can get kind of tricky keeping the temperature correct.


Add the corn cakes and cook for ~2-4 minutes per side.  When finished, set on a paper towel to dry.


Begin assembling the avocado topping by mashing up the avocado with a fork.


Add the spices and the tomato, and you're ready to assemble!


Spread the beans on top of the corn cakes like this:


Now dollop some of the avocado mix on top, and garnish with a sprig of cilantro.


Voila!  You're done!  Soooo good!



If you liked this, let me know in the comments!  And don't forget to follow me on Facebook and Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment